On Saturday, dance teams traveled to Sprague and Pendleton to compete. Both competitions included high school divisions as well middle school and club divisions.
In the 5A division, it was a tight race for first place with less than three points separating the top four teams. South Albany, performing its piece “We Know Your Secret” took first place (83.37). Second and third places were very close with North Eugene (81.30) narrowly beating Lebanon’s performance of Black Widow (81.10). Milwaukie (80.77) finished fourth. Silverton (79.67) and Thurston (66.80) rounded out the division.
The Stayton Highlights earned the top score of the competition (88.67) en route to a first place finish in the 4A-1A division. Gladstone finished second (78.50) with its performance of “You Will Be Found.” Woodburn was third (60.93).
Sheldon topped the host team, Sprague, for the first in the Show division. The Colleens posted a score of 80.43; while Sprague earned a 78.33. Grants Pass, returning to the dance competition circuit after sitting out the last few years, was third (62.60).
In the 6A division, the Jets from Oregon City earned first place (69.40) over West Salem (66.00) and McNary (59.63).
- Junior Club: Albany Gems (48.33), Hollywood Studios (36.00), Next Step Dance (28.33)
- Middle School: Crossler Creek (57.03)
The Pendleton competition offers a chance for teams in the Eastern Oregon to compete locally. The competition has historically featured many youth teams in additional to high school teams.
Youth Divisions (1st place, 2nd place, and 3rd place):
- Mini Jazz: Jr. Jam Mini (33.00), Dance Unlimited (30.00)
- Elementary Jazz Small: Jr. Jam Youth (39.00), Dance Unlimited (34.33)
- Elementary Jazz Large: Jr. Jam Elementary (40.67), Dance Unlimited (37.67)
- Junior Jazz: Jr. Jam A (53.33), Dance Unlimited (50.00), Jr. Jam B (32.00)
- Mini Hip Hop: Jr. Jam Mini (30.67), Dance Unlimited (21.33)
- Elementary Hip Hop: Jr. Jam Youth (38.00), Dance Unlimited (30.67)
- Junior Hip Hop: Dance Unlimited (44.00), Jr. Jam Co (41.67), Jr. Jam Krew (25.00)
- Mini Contemporary: Ignite (25.33)
- Elementary Contemporary: Ignite (34.67)
- Junior Contemporary: Jr. Jam Co (47.00), Ignite (32.67)
Hermiston, which now primarily competes in Washington, earned an 83.00 for its performance in the Show division.
Pendleton (5A) earned an 82.13 for its performance.
Grant Union (4A-1A) earned a 73.70 for its performance.
On March 7, dance teams will compete for the final time before the OSAA dance and drill championships. Competitions will be hosted at Centennial, Liberty and Sheldon.