USA Football - Heads Up Football Information
The OSAA requires that all football coaches (paid or volunteer) complete the USA Football HeadsUp Football Certification prior to assuming coaching duties and to recertify annually prior to the beginning of each Association year. Additionally, each member school sponsoring football is required to identify a Player Safety Coach. Each Player Safety Coach is required to attend an in person four hour clinic annually prior to the start of the Association year that is conducted by a USA Football Master Trainer in preparation for implementing and overseeing the primary components of Heads Up Football at their school.
Member School Enrollment Instructions
- Go to: http://usafootball.com/programs/heads-up-football/middle-high-school and select the ADs and Administrators Enroll Now button
- If you have an existing account, you can enter your email and password to Sign In or create a new account by clicking Get Started.
- When selecting your Primary Role make sure to either select Athletic Director or State Administrator to access enrollment.
- Once Primary Role is selected, an Enroll in Heads Up Football option will populate and you can check the Register for HUF box underneath. After account information is submitted, you will be directed to the enrollment screen. If you missed this step in the account registration or migration, you can still access the enrollment link later via the My Organization Page.
- The Heads Up Football Enrollment page will include nominating your Player Safety Coach, confirming organization information, choosing an in-person training option, and reviewing the Terms of Service. Make sure to check the box beside I agree to the Terms of Service to sign, then click Finish to complete enrollment.
- Once enrollment is finalized, your regional service and experience representative will follow-up with information regarding coach certification and in-person clinics.
- The designated Player Safety Coach is required to attend one of the PSC clinics offered.
- Verify that all Football coaches (paid or volunteer), including your Player Safety Coach, have completed the online certification program located on Heads up Football on NFHSLearn.com NFHSLearn.com prior to assuming their coaching duties. Coaches must complete Blocking, Tackling & Equipment Fitting, Concussion in Sports, Heat Illness Prevention, and Sudden Cardiac courses in order to be Heads Up Certified. Cost is $10 per coach.
2017 HUF Player Safety Coach Clinic Schedule
All OSAA member schools offering Football are required to have a certified Player Safety Coach (PSC) by the first practice date. These individuals are responsible for ensuring their schools compliance with core Heads Up Football health and safety protocols, including conducting safety clinics for coaches, parents and players. Player Safety Coach Clinics will be conducted at various sites around the state on the dates indicated below. USA Football Master Trainers will conduct a four hour clinic at each site. There are no registration fees to attend a clinic.
|Saturday, March 18, 2017||South Eugene High School||Eugene, OR|
|Saturday, April 29, 2017||Grants Pass High School||Grants Pass, OR|
|Saturday, May 6, 2017||Redmond High School||Redmond, OR|
|Saturday, May 20, 2017||Sherwood High School||Sherwood, OR|
|Sunday, June 11, 2017||Hermiston High School||Hermiston, OR|
|Wednesday, June 28,2017||Sprague High School||Salem, OR|
|Saturday, July 8, 2017||Mazama High School||Mazama, OR|
|Wednesday, July 19, 2017||St. Helens High School||St. Helens, OR|
|Saturday, July 22, 2017||Gresham High School||Gresham, OR|
|Wednesday, August 2, 2017||Taft High School||Lincoln City, OR|
|Saturday, August 5, 2017||Lincoln High School||Portland, OR|
|Saturday, August 12, 2017||North Marion High School||Aurora, OR|
Football coaches (paid and volunteer) must complete the Heads Up Football certification process annually by completing a series of four courses at NFHSLearn.com/HeadsUpFootball. This certification encompasses student-athlete health protocols and skill development. USA Football's Heads Up Football program, endorsed by leading experts across medicine and sport, establishes standards rooted in the best available science. The curriculum includes Heads Up Blocking, Heads Up Tackling, equipment fitting and all-sport-relevant topics of concussion recognition and response, heat emergency preparedness and protocols for sudden cardiac arrest. The cost of Heads Up Football certification will be $10 per coach. All four courses will be able to be accessed at Heads up Football on NFHSLearn.com